SMTP Relay

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Nathan Trickle, Mar 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Nathan Trickle

Nathan Trickle New Member

I would like to use LiquidFiles as a mail relay using the SMTP protocol. This would allow us to configure automated services to use LiquidFiles for sending messages and attachments. As an example, we have reporting software that sends out reports by email automatically. You need to provide the software an email relay address and port to use for sending out the reports. Currently we are using Exchange to relay automated reports but we would like to use LiquidFiles as it requires you to log into the portal to view private messages and download attachments.

I am aware of the emaildrop functionality but it appears to be intended for receiving mail from any number of source email address and forwarding them to one destination address per emaildrop. We are looking to do the opposite. We would like to have our reporting software provide the message info to LiquidFiles using the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) to send to any number of external addresses. It's my understanding that if we wanted to use emaildrops we would need to create an emaildrop for every email address we want to send to. That is not feasible when we have hundreds of changing addresses we need to send to.

I believe the LiquidFiles API would allow us to send automated messages but it's my understanding that the automated software we use would have to specifically support LiquidFiles API. We are not a software company and have no control over what APIs third party software vendors support. That is why I think adding support for SMTP to LiquidFiles would greatly improve its compatibility with other software.

Proposed workflow of feature request:
    Third party software would provide LiquidFiles the following information using the SMTP protocol. To, From, Subject, Message Body, Attachments and could authenticate with a username and password. LiquidFiles would use that information to send out an email to the recipients like it normally does.

I would also like the option to have these messages sent as private messages. I could see this being implemented as a per user group setting in the LiquidFiles admin console. Or I could see LiquidFiles looking for a prefix like "Secure:" or "private:" in the subject of the message.

2. David

David Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Nathan Trickle

Nathan Trickle New Member

I'm not talking about having LiquidFiles use an external mail relay or how liquidfiles sends the messages. I would like to use LiquidFiles as a mail relay for other applications. Think of it as a way to automate sending messages to LiquidFiles for it to send out. The scenario i'm looking at: We provide our reporting software a mail relay address. Currently it's our exchange server. I would like to change that relay address to be our LiquidFiles server. So LiquidFiles would send the reports instead of Exchange. This would force external users to log into LiquidFiles to download the reports vs just sending them in an email with Exchange. I know this functionality is available in the LiquidFiles API but that does not help us as the 3rd party reporting software would have to support the LF API and we have no control over that. If LiquidFiles had a built in mail relay that other external applications could connect to, it would greatly expand the amount of compatible software without needing special code for to support the LF API.

4. John Zimmerman

John Zimmerman New Member

Just reading through feature requests and noticed this one. We thought this could be useful as well (if we are on the same page here)....

What I believe is being asked is not really to use liquidfiles as a proper smtp relay, but to create private messages (sometimes with attachments) via smtp. The recipient would be any arbitrary email address. Essentially a _replacement_ for using an smtp relay.