"Clean Files After" setting in FTP Directory?

Discussion in 'LiquidFiles General' started by AEIT, Nov 9, 2016.

1. AEIT

AEIT New Member

I don't want files cleaned, I want them to be there until I delete them. I put the setting to 0 days, is this correct?

2. David

David Administrator
    Staff Member

You have to configure the plain FTP service (FTPDir) instead of FTPDrop. This feature is available since LF v3.
    FTPDrop takes the uploaded files and put them in to the defined recipient's inbox.

3. AEIT

AEIT New Member

Sorry, yes I have the FTP Directory created in LF v3.0.2 and have tested that it works for my intended use, I just wanted to make sure "Clean Files After" setting of "0" was equal to "Never clean files from this directory".

#3 AEIT, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  4. David

David Administrator
    Staff Member

If there was set "0" there would be deleted all files which was modified zero days ago. You have to set "3650" (10 yrs) or something similar which is longer than expected server life. It's similar approach like when is required to set almost "never expiring" FileLinks.

5. AEIT

AEIT New Member

Thank you for the reply. Since opening the thread I have changed the value to "7300" (20 years).

6. ek-dyoder

ek-dyoder New Member

I'm using version 3.0.9 and current have the same question. This is non-intuitive though. A value of "0" should disable the feature, not make it behave in an unknown way. I think this should be moved to a feature request.

A recommendation like "set the value to 10yrs" isn't good for production use. All that does is create headaches down the road. I have an FTP server at a client that's turning 9yrs old this month. If I had told it to delete all the files after 10yrs, 9yrs ago - then imagine my surprise next Feb. when all the data begins to disappear from the server... It's just not a good recommendation. I really think the best answer to this is to simply disable the auto-delete feature when we specify a value of "0".

7. AEIT

AEIT New Member

I should have set it to 30 years... I'll (hopefully) be retired by then.

Followup question: Is the expiration based on last modified time or original creation time?

8. David

David Administrator
    Staff Member

We will see what we can do in further versions. Currently it works like that and I can only offer to set higher expiration time like 3650 or if helps then try 10950 days. I think its not so big obstacle.

According to the FTPDir cleaning procedure, its calculated on last modified time of the uploaded files.

9. Robert S. Clayton II

I can see this post is a couple of years old now. I have to agree that it is a problem to say "set it to 10 years" when what is needed is the standard "disable" value of 0. I also set it to 0 (since I didn't find ANY documentation of this feature) since this is a common default value in such a circumstance. I wrestled for a couple days wondering why my FTP sites kept emptying out the next day.

If you are NOT going to change this feature to allow for a "disable" setting, it should be at least documented in the Install Guides. This is just an example of bad programming and lazy support.

10. David

David Administrator
    Staff Member

We can have a look to highlight this information to "Clean Files After" option in FTPDir.
    Note: The FTPDrop is one of the youngest feature, it was introduced a year ago.