Password Recovery for the Administrative User

Discussion in 'LiquidFiles General' started by Eric Pretorious, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Eric Pretorious

Eric Pretorious New Member

Hello:

I've inherited a LiquidFiles appliance. I have root access at the console (because the previous administrator never logged out of the [VMware] virtual console). But I need to recover or reset the administrative user password for the LiquidFiles appliance.

Is there a simple way to do that?

TIA,
    Eric Pretorious
    Portland, Oregon

#1 Eric Pretorious, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  2. Eric Pretorious

So I found the information about resetting the root password in the manual page "Logging in to the System Console":

If you don't remember the root password, you need to reset it. To reset the Root Password, please go to Admin → System → Console Access. Click on the Root Password Tab and you will see the instructions there:​

That seems very circular but I'm assuming that there's an unstated assumption/prerequisite here (e.g., You must already be logged-in as a user to get to the Admin tab of the Web interface).

And that's a problem because the system doesn't seem to recognize my e-mail address. i.e., I'm not able to reset my own password. So there must be some other failure occurring too!

In which case, the question becomes: How do you recover the password for the Administrative User if you only have console/shell access?

3. David

David Administrator
    Staff Member

Simply, If the root password had been already created by somebody else, but you have physical access to the server or a VM, you can use the LF's bootable ISO image to reset the root password. If you are interested about more details how to do it, feel free to raise a ticket.

After you reset the root password and you have access to the root console, you can either reset the password of the 1st admin account for the web GUI by typing "ft reset_admin" or create another new admin account by typing "ft add_admin".

4. Eric Pretorious

Wow - It doesn't get much simpler than that, David! But let me be certain: Will resetting the root user's system password cause any negative affects on the LF application?

Many thanks,

5. David

David Administrator
    Staff Member

No worries at all. No. any negative affects on the LF application will happens, if you reset the root password.

6. Eric Pretorious

The console that was left open has been closed rather mysteriously. So I rebooted with the installer image (LiquidFiles-v3.2.7-x86_64.iso) to reset the root password. But, now that I have console access as root, the /usr/bin/lf command complains when I attempt to add an administrator (`/usr/bin/lf add_admin`) or reset the administrator password (`/usr/bin/lf reset_admin`):

[root@filetransfer ~]# lf add_admin
    rake aborted!
    NameError: uninitialized constant Filetransfer::Application::CatchParseErrors
    /app/current/config/application.rb:44:in `<class:Application>'
    /app/current/config/application.rb:17:in `<module:Filetransfer>'
    /app/current/config/application.rb:16:in `<top (required)>'
    /app/current/Rakefile:4:in `require'
    /app/current/Rakefile:4:in `<top (required)>'
    /usr/bin/bundle:22:in `load'
    /usr/bin/bundle:22:in `<main>'
    (See full trace by running task with --trace)

[root@filetransfer ~]# lf reset_admin
    rake aborted!
    NameError: uninitialized constant Filetransfer::Application::CatchParseErrors
    /app/current/config/application.rb:44:in `<class:Application>'
    /app/current/config/application.rb:17:in `<module:Filetransfer>'
    /app/current/config/application.rb:16:in `<top (required)>'
    /app/current/Rakefile:4:in `require'
    /app/current/Rakefile:4:in `<top (required)>'
    /usr/bin/bundle:22:in `load'
    /usr/bin/bundle:22:in `<main>'
    (See full trace by running task with --trace)

Have I misunderstood? Is there something else that I should do to add an administrator account and/or reset the current administrator password?

TIA,

#6 Eric Pretorious, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  7. David

David Administrator
    Staff Member

if you are running LF v3.2.4 by chance, at first please try to update to the latest version like this:

cd /app/current
    ft update

Then the "ft add_admin" or "ft reset_admin" should work as usually.