Creating Secure Certificate

Discussion in 'LiquidFiles General' started by R. O., Nov 19, 2021.

1. R. O.

R. O. New Member

I'm new Liquid Files and I'm trying to spin up a server from a HyperV environment. My IT has asked me to use a utility to create a secure certificate to use with our server and domain. My question is the utility is windows based and appears to be for windows server vs a HyperV virtual environment.

By creating the certificate on the windows box that has the HyperV Liquid Files running will this "creating certificate" validate in the virtual environment ?

I've attached a screenshot with to help clarify.

upload_2021-11-18_13-8-50.png

2. David

David Administrator
    Staff Member

If I see properly, on the screenshot you have a tool which is generating CSR for your CA (Digicert).
    Digicert then sends you back the signed certificate.
    Technically the certificate will work, but because the CSR is generated from a certificate out of your LF server, please note that you will also need to paste its matching private key (PEM format) in the "Private key" box in "Admin > System > Certificate > Upload" settings, or upload the pair in the pfx/pkcs12 format.

I think simpler will be skip the generation of the CSR in the windows tool but use our similar CSR built-in function directly on the LF server.
    1) Click "Generate CSR" in "Admin > System > Certificate" (https://man.liquidfiles.com/certificates/csr.html)
    2) Send the CSR to Digicert for signing.
    3) When you have back the signed certificate just upload the certificate in PEM format in the "Certificate" box. (https://man.liquidfiles.com/certificates/install.html)

3. R. O.

R. O. New Member

I'll give this a shot thank you.