Full Disk Encryption

Discussion in 'LiquidFiles General' started by Martin Blackburn, Dec 2, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Martin Blackburn

Martin Blackburn New Member

Hi,

I used the .OVF file to create my first LiquidFiles server on VMWare. I there a way to encrypt the data disk?

Also, I read these warnings:
    • It will most likely cause noticeable performance degredation. Depending on what you use LiquidFiles for, network speed, system load and how critical transfer speeds are, this may or may not be a problem.
    • You will need to type a long random password on the console every time the machine boots, or reboots. There’s no way around this while still maintaining security.
    • It will prevent things like filesystem expansion. If you want to change the disk size, you will have to re-install the system and migrate the data across.
    Can I encrypt only the data disk?

Thank you,

Martin

2. David

David Administrator
    Staff Member

Technically it's doable to have the /data on the encrypted drive, but you would need to make it yourself completely manually.
    LF appliance does Not cover this scenario.
    The encrypted data drive should be also mounted automatically during boot which means you would need to have an authentication file with passphrase stored on the system drive.
    LF is using Centos7 so in principle the preparation of the encrypted data drive will be similar like i.e. in this general example.