Hyper-V installation for v3.0

Discussion in 'LiquidFiles General' started by Jazz, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Jazz

Jazz New Member

Hi Guys,

Just wondering that now with the move to CentOS 7.0 64bit, are there any changes to the Hyper-V installation procedure as compared to the previous method - https://man.liquidfiles.com/install/hyperv.html ?

Specific questions are :
    - Can we now use a Gen2 VM ?
    - Do we still need to use a legacy network adapter ?
    - Is it compatible with Hyper-V 2016 ?
    - Are the Integration services compatible for Hyper-V 2016 ?

2. David

David Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi,

LF is using Centos7 64bit. So the answer could be if Hyper-V2016 supports Centos7 then LF will works there as well.

Cheers

David

3. Justin

Justin New Member

"Can we now use a Gen2 VM ?"

From what I can tell, no. Gen2 is strictly EFI and I can't get the provided ISO to properly see that hardware. In addition the premade VHD isn't compatible because it's not VHDX and converting it doesn't do any good, it just bombs on boot.

"Do we still need to use a legacy network adapter ?"

Doing a new install using the initial provided adapter caused the resulting VM to not see any adapter at all. I would have to say the legacy adapter is still required.

"Is it compatible with Hyper-V 2016 ?"

Yes but Gen1 only. LF2 worked on 2016 as well. I simply dragged and dropped LF2 from Server 2012 to 2016 and it worked fine.

"Are the Integration services compatible for Hyper-V 2016 ?"

Yes, again, Gen1 only.

So ultimately, when it comes to Gen2, it's a big no. Between EFI and the legacy adapter it's not possible. Gen1 on Server 2016 is a yes.

(On a side note I can't get the premade VHD to boot on Server 2016 at all, it bombs with all sorts of "not found" errors. I had to do a new install from ISO).

4. Sam-72891

Sam-72891 New Member

5. Justin

Justin New Member

Honestly, I've never had much luck with the prebuilt VHDs. They're nice in theory but they just don't pan out. You're better off setting up your own VM then attaching the ISO, booting off that and doing a fresh install. The install takes minutes and it's just not worth the headache. Make a Gen1 VM and make sure you do NOT turn on Dynamic memory. That one bit me a long time ago!

6. Sam-72891

Sam-72891 New Member

Agreed - the ISO process just works.
    Do you know if the ISO includes HyperV integrations or do those need to be added afterwards?
    Setting up a testbed for LiquidFiles Version 3 right now. It's been years since I've built a liquidfiles server.

Thanks for the tip on Dynamic Memory!

7. Justin

Justin New Member

For my recent install of LFv3 I put it on Server 2016 and I decided not to run the integration driver install. I wasn't sure how up to speed they were with 2016 and I didn't want to blow it up. As it is, it runs fine. Although even with 4GB of memory it's swapping a lot and acting sluggish. I suppose I could backup the VM real quick and try it and see what happens. I'll let you know.

No problem, glad I could help.

8. Justin

Justin New Member

So much for that. When I hit F2 I don't see the HyperV option at all. I couldn't do it if I wanted. Maybe it transferred over from my old system?

But it just dawned on me. Server 2016 doesn't matter. HyperV Gen1 is HyperV Gen1, period. Doesn't matter if it's on 2012, 2012 R2 or 2016. The virtualized hardware is identical.

9. David

David Administrator
    Staff Member

The ISO image and VHD cover identical stuff. You can install either from scratch from ISO or attach VHD drive to a Gen1 VM and boot.

Nowadays the hyper-v integration drivers are part of the official Centos/Redhat kernels which LF is using so you don't have to install the downloadable packages manually like earlier. Because of potential conflicts between the built-in drivers and the downloadable drivers there is recommended keep using only the kernel built-in drivers.