LiquidFiles Updates show "License used by another hostname"

Discussion in 'LiquidFiles General' started by Pascal de Vries, Jul 30, 2024.

1. Pascal de Vries

Pascal de Vries New Member

I have setup LiquidFiles 4.0.7 and successfully licensed it. The License page shows

Licensed (Public) Hostname: secureshare.mydomain.com

Validating the license works.

All is green and license valid (It is a site license). But on the Update page, instead of showing me available updates it shows "License used by another hostname" although we are exactly using the public host name which is licensed. We have got the relevant URLs white-listed for updates an licensing.

Can you give any guidance on how to progress? Many thanks.

2. David

David Administrator
    Staff Member

Please check if the expected Public URL is saved in "Admin > System > Hostname & URL",
    If yes then open "Admin > System > License", remove and then paste the license key back.
    Navigate back on the update page and check for the update.
    If this did help then try to install the update from the (root) shell by typing ft update

3. Pascal de Vries

Pascal de Vries New Member

Thanks, but that did not help. I looked at the log files and saw the following entry:

29 Jul, 2024 15:51:57 err {"message":"License used by another hostname","admin_user_id":"admin-mydomain-com","admin_user_email":"admin@mydomain.com","admin_user_group":"Sysadmins","request_path":"/system/update","access_method":"HTML","ip":"internal ip of waf","hostname":"waf.internaldomain.local","request_id":"5ab41cf5-ec01-4f5a-a879-b9ed102b35a8","log_level":"error"}

So it seems that LiquidFiles is doing a reverse lookup on the Web Application Firewall internal IP (which is connecting to the LiquidFiles appliance) and then using the internal FQDN of the WAF of the as the host name, although on the Licensing page, I put the public FQDN.

So I then changed temporarily the Licensed (Public) Hostname to the internal FQDN of the WAF. I could then do the upgrade. Then I changed the Licensed (Public) Hostname back to our public FQDN. Obviously this is not a permanent solution.

I am just wondering why the LiquidFiles appliance is looking at the internal IP and FQDN of our WAF when doing the upgrade. Our WAF is basically acting as a reverse proxy. Any insights on that? Many thanks.

4. David

David Administrator
    Staff Member

In the logs is showed the IP and hostname from which the sysadmin is accessing.
    When LF is validating license it's connecting to https://license.liquidfiles.com portal and it's compared the Public URL set on the LF server with the Public URL saved on the license portal. If this does not match then this error is showed.

You basically have resolved that yourself. When you changed the Public URL so it matches with the Public URL on the license portal then the server was successfully validated and then you can change the Public URL on the LF server to anything else you need and the Public URL will be updated on the license portal as well.