Restart Console Menu

Discussion in 'LiquidFiles General' started by Paul Hirose, Jun 4, 2024.

1. Paul Hirose

Paul Hirose New Member

The menu (eg: F1 login, F2 setup, etc) that shows on the console - is there a way to restart that service or otherwise wake up the console?

I find that in my VMWare environment, this menu stops responding to F# keys after a while (no idea why.) It usually works for "a while" after I reboot the vm, but for whatever odd reason seems to stop accepting keyboard input and the display (eg: cpu, load, memory, etc) stops refreshing.

It's a fresh install of v4.0.9 (from OVF) and then I migrated to it from v3.x. I updated to v4.0.10. The console works (when not stuck/frozen) obviously, since I managed to login to it enough on first-boot to issue ft migrate. I didn't have any trouble w/v409 altho I was on it for only 30m or so before I updated to v4010, so I can't really say if this issue would have cropped up under v409. I don't see anything in the v4010 release notes that might point to anything like this.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
    Thanks all,
    PH

2. David

David Administrator
    Staff Member

In some cases when you connect to the console it's needed to press <ESC> then pres the Function keys.

But if you see the console is completely frozen, the problem can the console binary was blocked by some EDR agents like Falcon CrowdStrike which are not permitted to be installed on the LF servers.

3. Paul Hirose

Paul Hirose New Member

I'll continue fussing a bit over this, hit a few keys, etc. I notice ^Q sometimes wakes things up - does this still use ancient XON/XOFF ? I'll try ESC and a few other wake-up keys :)

I was hoping there was a simple /etc/init.d/consolemenu restart or some such service though. If there is one, I'd appreciate a note.

I have no EDR or anything, this is pure OVF image (409) + update to 4010. It seemed fine under 409 (for the 30m or so it was running as that while I configured the IP and did the ft migrate, etc.) Once I got into the web interface and did the update is when I started having trouble. But that could be coincidental, and if I had stayed on 409 longer, I might have seen the same issue.

Anyways, I'll keep messing w/this a bit. It's likely something simple on my side, but I just wanted to check if there was any known issue or a simple way to restart the consolemenu anyways,

Thanks,
    PH

4. David

David Administrator
    Staff Member

It works similarly like that but anything which should performs admin manually. The menu is restarted by watchdog automatically.
    Except when some EDR interfered and stopped the console we have not observed any issues with the console yet.
    But if the console was stopped or terminated you would see the common login prompt.
    If you see the orange/grey console is running but you can't access it the it could be also some key sensing problem between the virtual host console and the browser.