Not Planned Ability to Duplicate message from message logs

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by David, Oct 8, 2016.

1. David

David Administrator
    Staff Member

I realize that there are a lot of request (and a planned feature) to be able to resend a message or allow a message to be forwarded to others, but I thought I would throw out the idea of Duplicating a message from the message logs. As long as the message and its attachments has not expired of course. This seems like it may be easier to implement and a little more secure than allowing recipients to forward emails to others that we have not authorized. For example, it may take us 20-30 minutes to upload a 12GB file and send out a message to a partner. The partner then requests that we send a copy to their co-worker, so we must then re-upload the file again. Be nice if we could either edit the message, add a new recipient and then resend the message to new recipients.. or maybe just duplicate the message and enter new recipients and then send. Thanks!

2. David

David Administrator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Johan Allard June 29, 2012 00:59
    It's actually more complicated, for maybe a non-obvious reason. Copying a 32Gb file takes a non-trivial amount of time. In a VMware system with less than super fast disks, this could take longer than your typical browser timeout somewhere between 30-60s. We could therefore not just copy the file, we have to create a copy job and poll from the browser to see if it's completed before continuing. And since it would only be a stop-gap measure anyway until a many-many relationship would be implemented between files and messages it just doesn't make sense to spend any real time implementing it.