Edge + FF - File Extension

Discussion in 'LiquidFiles General' started by solidtso, Apr 30, 2019.

1. solidtso

solidtso New Member

Hello LiquidFiles.

I have a strange problem with our liquidFiles server.
    When a user sends a .msi file it changes to a .doc when it is downloaded via Edge or FireFox (Internet Explorer is blocked here) But Chrome is downloading the file as a .msi
    I tried different MSI files with the same results and I can't see anything wrong in the logs after the files are downloaded.

Server is running version: 3.3.4 & AV 25434

2. solidtso

solidtso New Member

I guess no one else is having this issue?
    upload_2019-5-6_8-21-16.png

3. David

David Administrator
    Staff Member

Between LF v3.3.0 - v3.3.7 the content-type was detected on the server side and there appeared a problem that some files like xlsx docx msi ...
    which are using new Microsoft content-types were not detected and interpreted as Microsoft intended during the upload.
    When that affected files were being downloaded a wrong file extension could be offered. Since v3.3.8 the content-type detected by the client has been using as well.

At first please update the LiquidFiles server to the latest version (currently v3.3.9 in 5/2019), re-upload that file and check if the content-type will be served properly when the file is downloaded from the new message.

If the content-type detection was still problematic, especially to detect and interpret properly the content-type of files uploaded/downloaded on cross platforms (Ms <--> MAC) can be still challenging, with the new http/2 binary upload we are using in LF 3.3.x versions,
    disable a new option named "Use detected Content-Type for downloads" in "Admin > System > Configuration" settings. Disabling downloads using detected content-types can help when some files are opened using the wrong application like in this case.

4. solidtso

solidtso New Member

Hello David,

Updating did not solve the problem, but disabling detection worked :)
    Thank you for your help.
    I feel that every time we update we turn of another feature.
    last time we updated the AV function had to go because it would not let us send any files.

But again thanks for the help, now I'm sure a few users have a file or 2 they need to resend :)

Kind regards
    Thomas.