EmailDrop missing feature

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by David, Oct 8, 2016.

1. David

David Administrator
    Staff Member

client sending a file via EmailDrop should receive a download confirmation email when Local User downloads file. this would be consistent with FileDrop user experience and would also help advance/promote EmailDrop usage.

2. David

David Administrator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Jon Wiederspan January 26, 2016 23:47
    EmailDrop should send a rejection notice when an email does not have an attachment (instead of just ignoring it). This is causing a problem for us because people forget they are sending to an EmailDrop address and don't know that nobody got their message.

[​IMG]
    Jon Wiederspan January 26, 2016 23:51
    EmailDrop should automatically set one up for any email address in your domain, just as FileDrop does. This would be a huge benefit for our teachers, when so many parents want to send pictures of what the kids have been doing outside of class (or working on their homework) and students are sending assignments. With over 1200 teachers, I can't manually make all of those accounts. I assume that this feature would strip the username out of the recipient address, match that against the directory service used by the filedrop, and (if there is an email account with that username/uid) assign that user's email address as the recipient for the EmailDrop.

[​IMG]
    Johan Allard January 27, 2016 00:25
    V2.6.24 adds rejection emails to both sender and recipient if someone sends an Emaildrop that is rejected for whatever reason.

The problem is with automatic Emaildrop accounts is that the email address needs to be different from the users email. I.e. if the users standard email is first.last@domain.com, the emaildrop domain cannot be @domain.com. It would need to be something like @liquidfiles.domain.com. In some cases it could be possible to automatically generate from the email so if the users email is first.last@domain.com, automatically create a Emaildrop for first.last@liquidfiles.domain.com. But it's perfectly reasonable that we have two users, john.doe@domain.com and john.doe@other.com in which case we would get a clash. But maybe we could look at something where

if domain == "domain.com"
    enable Emaildrop as username@liquidfiles.domain.com
    end
    or another alternative would be to use emaildrop email like: john.doe_domain.com@liquidfiles.domain.com, which would solve the uniquness problem but would create redundancy in the email address and we would find a good delimiter (john_doe@domain.com is fairly common). Whatever solution, it's not as straight forward as User Filedrops.

[​IMG]
    Jon Wiederspan January 27, 2016 00:53
    I just realized that I should have added these as separate suggestions. :)

I was assuming with EmailDrop that the message would be sent to the email address that should represent the EmailDrop, so the address of the EmailDrop would already be known (it will be the message recipient address). The system would then need to extract the username, check for an entry in the directory service with that username, and set up the EmailDrop to forward messages to the email address provided from the directory service. For example:

1) An email is received to jwiederspan@mf.nsd.org, which does not yet exist as an EmailDrop.

2) LiquidFiles identifies "jwiederspan" as the username and checks the ActiveDirectory server (the same one used for FileDrop accounts) for an existing entry.

3) When it gets an existing entry, it uses the email address for that entry to set up the EmailDrop (in this case, forwarding the message to jwiederspan@nsd.org).

I think this is the reverse of what you were saying. The EmailDrop domain is known at the time the message is received. It is the recipient's "regular" email address that is not known. But then, I could be completely wrong. :)

[​IMG]
    Jon Wiederspan January 27, 2016 00:57
    I did the 2.6.24 update and the rejection notice seems to be working fine. Thanks!

Now to get greedy - could it be a message we can edit like the notices for filedrops?