Sender Email Address: Clarification Sought

Discussion in 'LiquidFiles General' started by ICT Security, Jun 17, 2022.

1. ICT Security

ICT Security New Member

Hi,
    In the Email Configuration screen under the Use The Email Sender Address etc.
    The following line appears:
    If this is set, the Email Sender Address above will be set as the From address for all emails, and the recipients email address will be set as Reply-To. If this is disabled, each recipients email address will be set in the email From address, as most users would expect.

Why would the recipients email address be set as Reply-To? Wouldn't that mean if they replied they would be replying to themselves? Should it not read:
    If this is set, the Email Sender Address above will be set as the From address for all emails, and the sender email address will be set as Reply-To. If this is disabled, each sender's email address will be set in the email From address, as most users would expect.

We use a generic Email Sender Address: icthelpdesk@company.com but regardless of the setting above, autoresponders and Out of Office messages come back to the icthelpdesk@company.com and I would like those messages to come back to the original sender - which is what I expect the system to be. Am I missing something or is my configuration broken and should I create a support ticket?

2. David

David Administrator
    Staff Member

It's mainly because there is no other simple way how to delivery reliably emails to recipients if the LF's email sender address was not used.
    Nowadays most of relay systems/services do not send you emails when the sender is not either a specified sender or at least the sender's domain is not listed in trusted sending domains.
    Even if a relay server permitted to send emails from all senders or the LF server was configured for direct sending there would be a problem with delivery emails sent from external clients (client@external.com) from the LF server. These emails can be marked as spam by the email servers of recipients.
    To be sure the emails will not be dropped as spam the LF's Email Sender Address has to be set as from address for all emails.
    In the Reply-To field is then listed the email address of the user. So the header looks like this example:

Return-Path: <liquidfiles@domain.com>
    Reply To: joe.sender@domain.com
    To: recipient@client.com

With the autoresponders we can't do much. The autoresponders are by design configured to send replies only to Return-Path address so then the OOO replies go to the LF's sender address liquidfiles@domain.com.
    Technically you could reconfigure your autoresponder to send the OOO replies to the Reply-To field but accordingly to the RFC3834 > 4. Where to send automatic responses this field should not be used.