SFTP Permissions

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by ek-dyoder, Dec 14, 2018.

1. ek-dyoder

ek-dyoder New Member

I know that LF supports only basic FTP/SFTP access, but there is a use case for allowing a simple set of permissions.

I use LF as my primary FTP/SFTP host because it's simple to use and easy to setup - much easier than a traditional FTP/SFTP server.

The Problem
    My clients use the FTPdirs to upload files to me, and my clients also use LF to collaborate on files with their clients. So in my experience FTPdirs gets quite a bit of use. But I also have automated scripts that I use which upload/download files to and from LF. There are times when I need to create a psudo-public SFTP site so that my scripts can upload files to me, but I really don't want to put usernames and passwords into a script that gets deployed to hundreds of computers to accomplish this.

Possible Solution
    I'd like to see basic permissions added to FTPdirs. Specifically I'd like to allow anonymous write access to a FTP/SFTP site. This can really just be a checkbox when setting up an FTPdir - it would just say "Allow anonymous write access" or something like that. The critical component to this is that it should also deny anonymous read access. This would allow me to distribute scripts to allow for programmatic automated uploading of files, without having to also distribute usernames and passwords, all while keeping the data on the FTPdir secure.

2. ek-dyoder

ek-dyoder New Member

After thinking about this further, and knowing that LF routes access to a specific FTPdir based on the username and password - enabling anonymous write access probably wouldn't work. Maybe the solution would be to instead allow write access for a user that isn't logged in. For instance, if I connect to the site using only a username and no password then LF can connect me to the correct FTPdir but only allow me write access and deny read access. Just a thought.